The Pocket Rocket was designed by Bike Friday co-founders Alan and Hanz Scholz out of a love for road racing and a desire to easily take their high performance, custom fit bikes with them on adventures around the world. They were successful in accomplishing these goals with the Pocket Rocket and Pocket Rocket Pro (ultralight frame version).
This bike has a surprisingly light and nimble road bike performance feel, even though it also folds in seconds to pack into the trunk of a car or can pack into an airline check-able suitcase. It has the larger sized 20inch wheels, 451mm (it is weird but the bike industry has two 20inch wheel sizes!) and these take up to 1 3/8inch width tires.
A fun fact about smaller wheels that road riders love is the smaller wheels are incredible climbers and you can draft several inches closer to your buddy in the pack ahead of you (big grin here!)
Valuable Features of the Pocket Rocket:
- High performance, nimble ride, built for long miles, great on hills with 20 inches (451mm) wheels.
- When folded it fits into a space 34x33x12” (varies by frame size) (86x83x31 cm) easily fits in a car trunk in minutes
- Built to fit you from top tube lengths ranging 48cm to 62cm
- Rocket frame built for riders up to 220-lbs (100 kg)
- Heavy rider upgrade available up to 260-lbs (118 kg)
- Lighter frames available for Pocket Rocket Pro/Super Pro upgrade (option above) or smaller riders
- Packs into a standard airline check-able suitcase
- A nearly endless list of components or groupsets to customize is available. If you don’t see what you want on this page just contact us and we will give you the extra custom design support.
Choosing Your Pocket Rocket
Below are five Pocket Rocket design options you can order on the top of this page:
1. Pocket Rocket Day Rides Design:
A simple design that will carry you on your favorite route of flats and rolling hills for those day training rides.
- 16 Speed
- Drop Bars
- Bar End Shifters
- Caliper Brakes
- Tires 1 1/8 inch width
- Comes with rear rack frame braze-on if you want to add a rear rack and do some touring on this bike also.
- Has clearance for fenders
- Saddle and Pedals not included. As many people already have their favorite saddle and pedals, all industry-standard options will work on this bike
- Bike weight 22.5 lbs. (saddle and pedal not included)
2. Pocket Rocket Pro Upgraded:
The Pocket Rocket Pro has an ultra-light frame with double-butted tubing. This bike steps up to the serious rider with 20 gears for riding hard and fast on the flats and powering up the steep hills. This is where the rubber hits the road for our bikes and is the standard for all others.
- 20 Speed
- Drop Bars
- Integrated Shifters
- Caliper brakes
- Tires 1 1/8 inch width
- The frame is full Chromoly steel butted main and seat tube butted BB shell and butted steerer.
- Rider weight limit of 190lbs. for this light frame
- Saddle and Pedals not included. As many people already have their favorite saddle and pedals all industry-standard options will work on this bike.
- Bike weight 19.25 lbs. (not including saddle and pedals)
Note: Due to a world wide shortage of high end bike components that our parts vendors say is likely to continue into 2022 we are not able to promise bike builds for Shimano 105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace, DI2 or other high end components in most cases.
Pick your frame color:
(Basic Color picker program – Not the Pocket Rocket but for design idea purpose only)
Pick your Cable Color:
Pocket Rockets pack into an optional Samsonite Airline Check-able Travel case
Order process information for ordering on this page:
- Phase 1: Follow all the steps in the drop-down menus above then “Add to cart” and follow steps in your cart. Once purchased phase two will start.
- Phase 2: A Bike Friday Expert will follow up with you to determine your pick-up /ship date (production takes 5-7 weeks on average) and confirm any needed details about your order.
Payments Plan and Paypal Credit Option:
Want to order your bike and pay for it later? Give PayPal Credit a try. Here is how you can apply.
- Add your new Bike Friday to the cart and proceed to the checkout process.
- On the payment step of the checkout process, select “PayPal” as your payment option.
- You’ll be redirected to the PayPal website where you will log in or create an account.
- On the next step, click “Apply Now” under PayPal Credit and follow the instructions.
- Complete the checkout to place your order.
If you have any questions, please email or call us at 1-800-777-0258 USA 1-541-687-0487 INTL, and we’ll be happy to assist.
We at Green Gear Cycling, Inc. (Bike Friday) want you, the customer, to be happy with your new bicycle. For direct orders shipped from the factory if your bike does not meet your expectations, you may return the bicycle to us for a full refund, less all shipping charges and a 15% restocking fee (as of 06-01-18). CLICK HERE for full warranty information.
Are you not finding what you are looking for?
We offer many more options than we can post here without overwhelming people. We can likely build what you are looking for. Just contact us and tell a friendly Bike Expert what you are looking for.
Call a Bike Expert: 1-800-777-0258 USA 1-541-687-0487 INTL
You can also do more exploring on your own first by clicking on the “More Pocket Rocket Designs” link or the “Advanced Designer for bike geeks” button to find our bike configurator with the full range of Bike Friday bikes.
Read Pocket Rocket Bike Reviews Below
Submit your review
Christine and I got our custom steeds back in 2010. We are recovering(that’s me) former bike racers. Christine actually raced for the US in the 2004 and 2008 Olympics and I raced as a domestic professional for a few years as well. All that to say that we know an excellent handling bike and that is how our Bike Fridays ride. We’ve done very technical descents and climbs - no problem. The wheel size seems to make the handling a bit quicker but completely predictable and the bikes feel completely at home at 45+mph on descents. I’ve done plenty of fast group rides on mine and the laughs stop when they find themselves dropped by “funny bike.” But what’s the best way to truly see if your Bike Friday can keep up? Basically it climbs well, accelerates quickly, but because of its smaller wheels, doesn’t seem to hold top speeds as well as regular size wheeled bikes. I hope this helps anyone thinking of getting one.
I picked up my Pocket Rocket Super Pro in June 2019 in Oregon and have since been riding regularly in Singapore (where I live), San Francisco Bay Area (my second home), Seoul, and most recently Taiwan.
I have recently completed a 5-day 900km+ (almost 600 miles) around the Island of Taiwan alone and I am super impressed by how the bike was able to hold up and perform so well! I put in more than 200km a day 5 days straight with lots of climbing in the mountain.
Thanks for making such a great bike!
Three weeks ago I received my Bike Friday "Pocket Rocket Pro". What a great bike. I ordered this bike to use for travel since it fits in a suitcase and can be checked as luggage on a plane. However, after riding this bike, I have stored my carbon fiber, electric shifting road bike and now ride only the Bike Friday. I ride with our local club and found this bike to be very comfortable and very responsive on the road. I am not a bike racer, but have no problems staying up with our club members... Looking forward to our bike trips this year in Texas and Vermont. What a great Bike !!!