Learn more about the pakiT here:
The lightest, smallest folding bike in our line is the pakiT and its so small it fits in a backpack!
A great performance city bike to take with you anywhere & everywhere, that fits you, quickly folds and fits your mobile life!
Our goal with the Bike Friday pakiT is to add convenience to your daily life and personal freedom, to explore the joy of travel and commuting on light wheels, the wind in your face, as well as a stronger connection with the world around you while using a folding bike. All in a remarkably compact bike that not only folds but fits you and can be taken anywhere. Here is your chance to see the world by bike or get to the office without the long hike.
The pakiT offers special values in each of these areas:
- Light – As little as 15 lbs, easily carried with one arm, or in the backpack.
- Many Gear Options – 1-11 speeds for cruising, commuting or adventuring!
- Comes in Multiple Sizes – Fits a wide range of riders from 4’6″ to 6’4″
- Fits into small spaces: 28″ x 17″ x 8″ when folded and packed into the backpack.
- Fits into the pakiT Backpack see video
- Quick compact fold: Folds in under 20 seconds to 38″ x 24″ x 10″ (96 cm x 61 cm x 25 cm)
- For riders up to 190 lbs (86 kg) on pakiT Elite models and 220 lbs (100 kg) on the standard pakiT models.
- Colors – Your choice of 5 standard colors and up to 20 for Elite Custom bikes.
- Compact wheel size – The pakIT comes with a 16″ wheel which means it can easily fit into small spaces while still offering a great ride.
- Chain drive, hub gears and dérailleur options available on pakiT Elite versions.
- Belt Driven Option -Gates Carbon Belt Drive with Internal Hub is standard. Grease free, maintenance free, lasts longer than a chain.
- Dual Pivot Brakes
- Electric Assist upgrade available: Check it out here.
Details on the three bike design options offered in the menu above:
The Zen Day Design
If you love the simplicity and regularly jump onto the bus to get downtown, then need to travel another couple blocks or even short miles, then this is the perfect bike for you. It’s compact, agile and folds in seconds which means it keeps up with other folding bikes no problem. Great for getting around through crowds, popping into an elevator or up an escalator and folding to store under your desk. It also fits in the front of a bus or in the upper storage of the train (in the backpack). Built perfectly for the daily commuter who still needs to put in a few miles.
Details for Zen Day Design:
- Dual Pivot Brakes
- BF Flat Bar
- Alloy 170mm Single Crank Arm
- Single Speed
- Alloy Hubs
- Schwalbe 16″ Tires
- Folding Pedals
- Quick Release Seat Post Clamp
- Bike Weight (saddle and folding pedals included) 19.8lbs.
The Bike Weekdays Design:
This pakiT is a great folding bike that also has the gears to climb hills. This bike comes ready to go and the 16″ wheels make this a climbing machine. A great compact folding bike that’s perfect for a life on the go in an urban setting with rolling hills.
Details for the Bike Weekdays Design:
- SRAM 8 speed twist shift
- Alloy 170mm Crank Arm
- Shimano 11-28 8 Speed Cassette
- Shimano Claris Rear Derailleur
- FSA Headset
- Dual Pivot Brakes
- Bike Weight 21lbs. (saddle and folding pedals included)
The Mk2D – Sub 8.5!
This is a sub 18lbs pakiT with enough gearing to be the perfect around-town bike but also light enough to pop it on the train, bus or the back of your car. Special care has been put into this bike to ensure you great a great ride, easy fold and keep from breaking your back if you have to lift your bike often. Performance comes in many shapes and sizes.
- Bike Friday Flat-Bar
- 9-Speed Sun Race Thumb Shifter
- Cane Creek Top Canti/Caliper
- 53T Chainring
- 11-28 9 Speed SRAM
- Micro-Shift Derailleur
- Joytech Front and Rear Hubs with CR-18 Sun Rims
- FSA Sealed Cartridge Bearings
- Origin-8 Dual Pivot Brakeset
- Comes with Saddle and Pedals
The Bike Everyday Design:
If you are a daily commuter and have to fold your bike every single time you use it, then this pakiT design is the perfect option. The belt-drive (instead of greasy chain) gets rid of the chance of getting chain-grease on your pants. It also gets rid of that maintenance chore of oiling a squeaky chain.
Details for the Bike Everyday Design:
- Shimano Alfine Gear Shifters (rapid fire)
- Alloy 165mm Crank Arms
- Carbon Drive Crankset and chainring
- Shimano Alfine 8 Speed Geared Hub
- Bike Friday Alloy Front Hub
- Alex Black Machined Rims
- Dual Pivot Brakes
- WTB Volt Comp Saddle
- Bike Weight 23lbs. (saddle and folding pedals included)
Choose your frame color:
(Basic Color picker program – pakiT is not shown but for design idea purpose only)
Choose your Cable Color:
Below is the Bike Friday pakiT Backpack with a pakiT inside (open so you can see it in action):
pakiT with E-Assist upgrade:
The electric assist kit offered on this page for the pakiT is a front hub motor with Airline check-able Ligo Batteries. Learn more about the front hub motor system on our electric assist page here.
This 45-second video shows how the pakiT folds and unfolds:
Un-Boxing your new pakiT:
Packing your new pakiT for travel:
Order process information for ordering on this page:
- Phase 1: Follow all the steps in the drop-down menus above then “Add to cart” and follow steps in your cart. Once purchased phase two will start.
- Phase 2: A Bike Friday Expert will follow up with you to determine your pick-up /ship date (production takes 5-7 weeks on average) and confirm any needed details about your order.
Payments Plan and Paypal Credit Option:
Want to order your bike and pay for it later? Give PayPal Credit a try. Here is how you can apply.
- Add your new Bike Friday to the cart and proceed to the checkout process.
- On the payment step of the checkout process, select “PayPal” as your payment option.
- You’ll be redirected to the PayPal website where you will log in or create an account.
- On the next step, click “Apply Now” under PayPal Credit and follow the instructions.
- Complete the checkout to place your order.
If you have any questions, please email or call us at 1-800-777-0258 USA 1-541-687-0487 INTL, and we’ll be happy to assist.
We have a strong warranty on our frames against defects in material and/or workmanship for 10 years. The warranty is non-transferable. Bicycle components (excluding tires, chain, cables, etc.) generally have a 1-year limited warranty.
Are you not finding what you are looking for?
We offer many more options than we can post here without overwhelming people. We can likely build what you are looking for. Just contact us and tell a friendly Bike Expert what you are looking for.
Send us an email at email@example.com
Call a Bike Expert: 1-800-777-0258 USA 1-541-687-0487 INTL
You can also do more exploring on your own first by clicking on the “More pakiT Designs link or the “Advanced Designer for bike geeks” button to find our bike configurator.
Read pakiT Bike Reviews Below
Submit your review
The only way to describe the pakiT is, to put it simply, exactly that: simple. It’s as simple as simple gets. Belt driven (clean and grease free), light weight, quiet and packable.
I’ve had my hands on a pakiT for the last few weeks and I’ve got to say I’m extremely impressed. From the versatility of the frame size to the swiftness of its ride; Bike Friday, you’ve outdone yourself here.
As an avid traveler and city dweller, I know the need for small compact vehicles. Being an avid cyclist, of course, I’m game for anything with two wheels. Prior to the pakiT, I would have told you that folding bikes are just not for me. The smaller wheels didn’t appeal to me, and I was just not into the designs of other non-US made bikes. Well, that was until I stumbled across Bike Friday. They’ve been cranking out beautiful folding dreams since the early 90’s. When innovation meets utility!
Prior to the pakiT I believed that smaller meant slower. I cannot tell you how wrong I was. After being introduced to 20″ wheels on my Haul-A-Day, I soon learned how hard you can rip on smaller wheels. Smaller definitely does not mean slower but stronger and lighter! Now throw some 16″ wheels on a 15.5 lb slick folding bike and you have an urban assault tool.
As soon as I received my pakiT in the mail, I built it up and took it to the streets! Running through the internal 8 speed gear box, testing its limit to “wheelies,” mobbing in and off the side walk only to find this bike can hang! The 16″ wheels aid in quick acceleration and give the bike superior maneuverability to any other bike I’ve ridden. Now, I knew that Bike Friday knows bikes, and trust me, they know bikes!
I’ve been using the Haul-A-Day nearly everyday since April, and I’m in love. It’s always my first choice to ride even when I’m not “haulin’.” Although, I’m always “haulin’!” The rugged steel frame can take a serious beating, yet it never shows it. Of course, the pakiT would exemplify the same traits but in a bite size punch. When you say “jump,” the pakiT says, “Peace out! I gotta bounce!” and off you go riding through the hustle and bustle of urban living, forced to dodge vehicles, pedestrians, pigeons and even other riders. Considering the high route and pushing through those 8 quick internal speeds while you pick up the pace and jam the low route.
Whenever, this bike will always bite. I keep pushing it, and it keeps going! Since acquiring the pakiT, I’ve had such a fun time taking it on all my usual routes and seeing how it handles. LA is one wild place to ride with our diverse terrain, scorching landscape and car dense cities — the pakiT is a need! Whether you’re cruising to the corner store or hauling across town, the pakiT is my first choice!
I live a couple of hours away from Eugene, so yesterday I decided to drive down to visit BikeFriday. I wanted to test ride a pakiT. My phone battery was dead, so I couldn't take pictures or a video 🙁 . The pakiT that I test rode was a medium size frame with a glacier color and single speed belt drive.
In a nutshell, my impression of the pakiT is that we made an AWESOME purchase! The bike is super light and has a great ride. This will be my first folding bike and first BikeFriday. The person at BikeFriday adjusted the saddle to fit me for the test ride. I rode through the bike path around the back of the factory that goes into downtown Eugene. The bike was pretty responsive.
Most of the time when I was just looking ahead or at my surroundings, I couldn't tell that I was riding a folding bike because the ride was smooth and felt just like a regular bike. The only difference was the silence! The belt drive is really silent. I was able to ride fast despite the small 16" wheels. I rode through a bit of gravel and bumpy (nearby tree roots) to see how much I would feel the bumps on the ground. I was able to feel gravel or big bumps on the ground more than I do in my current bike (26" wheels). When I was riding in the bike path or street the 16" wheels were perfectly fine.
The last noticeable difference for me was the length of the handlebar. Due to the size of the pakiT the handlebar is smaller than what I'm used to. That is not a big downside for me, but I think I could get used to it after riding the pakiT a few times. I'm excited to be a future owner of pakiT.
"The pakiT is the best bike ever... I just finished a 28 mile ride in Germany on the 3 speed pakiT. The great road feel and handling of the bike, plus the light weight, made it a dream on the ride"