Learn more about the Bike Friday Haul-a-Day:
The Bike Friday Haul-A-Day Cargo Bike is incredibly capable and versatile. Customers all over the world continue to amaze and inspire us with stories and pictures of how they use their Haul-a-Day cargo bikes daily, fully loaded with kids, gear, beer, tents, well everything and even the kitchen sink sometimes.
The base model Haul-a-Day, non-e-assist, comes with a triple chain-ring to get you a good gear range for any outing. Even with this wide gear range the Haul-a-Day is the lightest cargo bike on the market starting at 34lbs (a 9speed version). The 24 speed Haul-a-Day shown here is 36lbs. This makes the bike ride like any great bike and it’s easy to maneuver on and off the bike.
Electric assist is an option that starts with the 8 speed version you see on this page. We have found with the extra boost for the hills people don’t tend to need such a wide gear range to get where they need to go. However if you want more gears we can do it, just contact us directly.
Unique and Valuable Features of the Haul-a-Day:
- The frame adjusts to fit riders 4’6″(1.37m) to 6’4″(1.93m)
- The bicycle is 72″(1.82m) long in its shortest adjustment and 76″(1.93m) long in its longest adjustment
- The lightest long-tail Cargo Bike built today. The 24 spd (non-assist) is 36lbs. Custom options available as light as 34lbs. Contact us for details. For perspective…other top brands on the market start at 45lbs and 60lbs without electric assist.
- The lightest Electric Cargo Bike built today with our 8 spd electric assist bike at 46lbs.
- Its compact size makes it easy to store or stands upright on its rear end for a very small footprint and fits on things like the front of city buses and standard bike racks.
- It can be disassembled into two or three pieces for packing/travel
- Standard bike built to carry up to 420 pounds (190kg), Heavy Load upgrade is available to 510 pounds (231kg)(Load = rider and cargo)
- Fits on many transport racks: bus, car, and train (tested with Yakima and Thule roof-rack and tested on a local bus (LTD) front-load bike-rack)
- Built with standard industry parts
- The only long-tail Cargo Bike built in the U.S.A.
Two Haul-a-Day Bike Models available on this page:
(If you want more gears or options contact us directly and we can offer many more options)
24 speed non-electric assist Haul-a-Day comes with;
- MTB Flat Bars
- Shifters – 8 speed (grip shifters)
- Triple front rings (48-38-28) and 8 speed cassette (11-34 tooth)
- 1.95 inch tires on 20 inch wheels (406mm)
- Disc brakes
Electric assist 8speed Haul-a-Day comes with;
- MTB flat bars
- Shifters – 8spd twist
- 48 tooth front ring
- 11-30 8spd cassette
- 1.95 inch tires on 20 inch wheels (406mm)
- Disc brakes
- Mid-drive e-assist motor
- Lithium ion Battery (36 volt)
Optional Accessories and Upgrades:
The Family Accessory Package Options:
If you are planning on making this the family bike, these are the perfect options which are best for your needs.
Younger Rider Upgrade:
- Full-wrap Whoopee Bar (Whoopee Deux Bar providing a full enclosure for your most precious cargo)
- Whoopee Cushion
- Rack Top
- Big-Foot Foot-rest
- Haul-A-Day Bag
Older Rider Upgrade: (same as younger-rider but with short bar)
- Traditional style handlebar attached to the seat-post called the Un-Bar
- Whoopee Cushion
- Rack Top
- Haul-A-Day Bag
Optional Front Rack and Basket:
This frame mount and basket allows you to carry some of your load in the front of your bike. This helps balance heavy loads you have on the rear rack and makes the bike more stable to ride when fully loaded. The basket stays in alignment with your mainframe so it does not turn when you turn your handlebars. Carries up to 35lbs of cargo.
Choose a Frame Color:
(basic color choosing program – Not all color combinations are available due to the adjustable frame)
Electric Assist Option:
Electric assist can open a whole new world to cycling, especially when carrying a load like kids or groceries. We have chosen the Mid-drive motor electric pedal assist option to offer a boost to your ride. We only offer pedal assist as we believe it is still real cycling and it is actually safer than a throttle assist which turns a bike into a motor scooter, we don’t make motor scooters.
Pedal-Assist allows you to load your 60 lbs. kiddo on the back, a gallon of milk along with all the other fixings for dinner and climb the hill home but with a little support-crew helping you reach the crest. It doesn’t take away your experience of being a cyclist. On the contrary, it only enhances it.
About the Mid-drive Electric Assist:
Motor replaces cranks and bottom bracket
This is a very popular system in China where 30 million electric assist bikes are sold yearly. It is little known in North America and we have been thrilled to discover it. A few of us on the Bike Friday team have put this kit on our personal Haul-a-Days and love it!
- 36 Volt Systems
- Maximum Amp hours of the controller: 15 Amps
- The wattage varies by battery and usage but ranges 288Watts – 500 Watts
- Torque sensing pedal assist for smooth acceleration and dynamic assist
- This is a Pedal Assist only system so there is no electric assist without pedaling (this is key in some e-assist safety laws)
- The controller can be programmed for your local laws
- From the factory, we program the motor to support at a maximum speed of 20mph (32kph).
- LiGo travel battery upgrade option available
- Bottom bracket integrated pedal assist for smooth acceleration
- This motor runs nearly silently!
- Assisted speed is limited by an adjustable setting that tops out at 90 RPM’s
Heavy Load Frame Up-Grade:
Our basic Haul-A-Day is designed for a rider weight limit of 220 pounds (100 kg) and Cargo weight limit 200-pounds (90 kg) for a total of 420lbs (it adds-up quick once you get a kiddo or two plus a bike repair kit and groceries). The heavier rider upgrade(some have coined this the “HAULA ABDUL”) available to 260 pounds (118 kg) and heavier load upgrade available to 250lbs (113 kg)Total weight of 510lbs.
The Adjustable Frame
(the only one in the industry):
Below you will see how easy it is to adjust the frame size of the Haul-a-Day to fit a wide range of rider sizes. It only takes one allen wrench and a few minutes to do it. With this one revolutionary feature one bike can fit everyone in the family! This is the only cargo bike in the world that can offer that.
Order process information for ordering on this page:
- Phase 1: Follow all the steps in the drop-down menus above then “Add to cart” and follow steps in your cart. Once purchased phase two will start.
- Phase 2: A Bike Friday Expert will follow up with you to determine your pick-up /ship date (production takes 5-7 weeks on average) and confirm any needed details about your order.
Payments Plan and Paypal Credit Option:
Want to order your bike and pay for it later? Give PayPal Credit a try. Here is how you can apply.
- Add your new Bike Friday to the cart and proceed to the checkout process.
- On the payment step of the checkout process, select “PayPal” as your payment option.
- You’ll be redirected to the PayPal website where you will log in or create an account.
- On the next step, click “Apply Now” under PayPal Credit and follow the instructions.
- Complete the checkout to place your order.
We at Green Gear Cycling, Inc. (Bike Friday) want you, the customer, to be happy with your new bicycle. For direct orders shipped from the factory if your bike does not meet your expectations, you may return the bicycle to us for a full refund, less all shipping charges and a 15% restocking fee (as of 06-01-18). CLICK HERE for full warranty information.
Are you not finding what you are looking for?
We offer many more options than we can post here with out overwhelming people. We can likely build what you are looking for. Just contact us and tell a friendly Bike Expert what you are looking for. You can also do more exploring on your own first by clicking on the “More Haul-a-Day Designs” link or the “Advanced Designer for bike geeks” button to find our bike configurator.
Bike Expert Contact: 1-800-777-0258 USA 1-541-687-0487 INTL
Read Haul-a-Day Cargo Bike Reviews Below
Submit your review
This is my third year with my haul-a-day. I love this bike. My kids are now 5 & 7 years old and we've gone everywhere in NYC on this bike for 3 years. Love how relatively small and light the bike is for getting up and down stairs and into my basement bike room. Love how the bike handles with smaller wheels = lower center of gravity. I never feel like the bike is going to tip even with two kids. OK, except for when they are jumping on and off! But that's not the bike's fault. And even with two kids, the cargo capacity is amazing. I have the younger rider add-on with a back bar rest that i strap an Ortlieb panier onto for water-proof storage for backpacks, lunch, papers. In the haul-a-day bags I can stick the kids scooters, hockey sticks, beach toys, whatever. This bike takes a beating and my local bike shop always admire the craftmanship of this bike when they're making adjustments.
I have the 24 speed, not the e-assist. Trying to stay in shape. Hahah. Just ordered the safety flag. Considering the under rack bag too for extra storage.
My Haul-a-Day is primary transportation and it has been great for many years . It is hard to beat the load capacity of the Haul-a-Day. It regularly carries a full-sized Stratocaster electric guitar, several bags of groceries, and sometimes even groceries and my svelte sister-in-law up challenging hills! Having recently moved farther out of town, except for furniture, my Haul-a-Day even carried most of my belongings for the several weeks I took to relocate.
Hi, I've had my haul-a-day for around 2.5 years now so I guess this is a long term review. I equipped mine with 2 Yepp child seats. I'm very happy to say my kids and I had a whale of a time with this unit. I would like to suggest 2 tweaks to the design. These are pertaining to the rack. The 1st is to design the rack to fit Yepp child carrier without any adapter. This helps to lower a bit of weight but more importantly the height of the seat by around 3 inches which helps with the stability. The second is to have some more sturdy and robust protection when one stands the bike on the rack.