Electric Assist E-Bike System Overview
Bike Friday Offers Electric Assist(E-Bike) Upgrades.
Still, 100% Focused on Enhancing Your Cycling Experience
We want to help our customers understand what an E-Bike is and why we chose to go with Assist over most E-“bikes” on the market(which really are only considered a bike due to the fact that it could be pedaled but seem to be less and less an actual bike). We believe e-assist is meant to help you feel powerful and capable of riding your bike. Assisting you when the hill is steep, your load is heavy or your partner is faster. It will keep you pedaling through the variations in your life that might otherwise take you off the bike. A win-win with an E-Bike under you.
We chose the best electric assist kits for cyclists with these values:
- We believe that pedaling is an essential part of cycling. Being able to control your speed/power with your own legs comes naturally to a cyclist.
- A great bike that fits is an essential part of cycling. So each kit can be added or subtracted from your personal bike whenever you wish. It does not detract from your bike, it only adds value.
- It must be able to complete serious adventures. So each kit is built to use over long distances.
- We want our products to deliver the best value when considering weight, function, and cost. A high-quality investment.
Each of the 3 electric assist kits:
- Are 36 Volt Systems
- The Controllers Maximum Amp hours is 15 Amps
- The wattage varies by battery and usage but ranges 288Watts – 500 Watts
- All systems are Pedal Assist only so there is no electric assist without pedaling (this is key in some laws)
- The Controller can be programmed for your local laws
- From the Factory, we program the motor to support at a maximum speed of 20mph.
Overview of the Full E-Bike Friday Suite
Electric Pedal Assist Systems
Rear Hub Drive(our most popular system for NWT and Diamond Llama)
Motor replaces rear hub in the rear wheel. This is a Bafang motor which has been tuned to perfectly work with our wheel size and bikes. It’s the quietest system you can buy and is super smooth which you will love.
– This kit is compatible with all Bike Friday models –
This is another internationally popular system that we are introducing on our bikes! We believe it will be equally popular with our customers because of the unique features it offers. This system packs easily and pairs well without Ligo batteries making it an ideal setup for travelers!
- Is similar to the front hub motor kit but also has an 8,9,10 spd cassette driver. This allows it to work with all rear dérailleurs.
- No motor resistance
- Fits all 20” wheels (406mm & 451mm)
- Very light! Adds only ~ 11 lbs to your bike
- Ligo travel battery option makes for a light electric assist bike that is legal to fly with.
- Very Quiet!
- Easiest to pack into the suitcase for air travel.
- Disc brake compatible
- Rear frame dropouts on a bike need to be sized to 137mm – 140mm (wider than usual)
System price for Motor and Battery kit starts at $1320 (bike price not included)
Specially designed motor replaces cranks and bottom bracket and tuned for the Bike Friday wheel size.
– Available on non-folding Bike Fridays: Haul-a-Day, Family Tandem, and OSATA –
This is a very popular system in China where 30 million electric assist bikes are sold yearly. It is little known in North America and we have been thrilled to discover it. Many of us on the Bike Friday team have put this kit on our Haul-a-Days and love it! The Mid-Drive is the perfect set-up for the challenges of parenthood because the loads never get lighter as the kids keep growing and the loads that come with having them don’t get any smaller.
Marry this system with our cargo bike, the Haul-a-Day and you have the perfect family vehicle.
- The most efficient system in terms of battery use
- Best hill climbing capabilities. Battery lasts longer despite hills and distance
- LiGo travel battery upgrade option available
- Bottom bracket integrated pedal assist for smooth acceleration
- This motor runs nearly silently!
- Limited crank options (170mm length)
- A limited number of front chainrings (only 1)
- Assisted speed is limited by adjustable setting that tops out at 90 RPM’s
- Limited to non-folding Bike Fridays only
System price for Motor and Battery kit starts at $1,444 (bike price not included)
Front Hub Drive:
Motor replaces front hub in the front wheel with a specially designed Bafang motor which is optimized for our wheel size, is the quietest you can buy and works effortlessly. With this option, you are able to remove it when you want to lighten the overall bike weight depending on its use.
– This kit is compatible with all Bike Friday models –
- With a second front wheel and 3 minutes you can take off all but one lb of the weight (removing motor and battery) and have your light non-assisted bike ready to ride
- No motor resistance when coasting or riding without power
- Fits both 20-inch wheel and 16-inch wheel Bike Fridays
- LiGo travel battery upgrade option available (as seen in the picture above)
- Comes standard with pedal assist
- Puts weight in the front of the bike which isn’t natural to everyone.
System price for Motor and Battery kit starts at $1275 (bike price not included)
Tandem with a Mid-Drive System
We also make an E-Assist tandem bike. It’s actually incredibly nice to ride and it’s like adding a third set of legs and a dream if only for climbing the hills.
Pictured here is a Family Tandem with Mid-Drive and Bottle Battery
Two different battery options that work better in certain situations
Bottle Battery and Charger: $444
LiGo 2 Batteries, bag, and Charger $430
LiGo 3 Batteries, bag, and Charger $595
LiGo 4 Batteries, bag, and Charger $744
(Currently, LiGo Batteries are slow to ship as of 11-19-2018 until further notice)
Contact us and a bike design expert will help you with your questions and find the best electric kit for your situation.
For retrofitting older Bike Fridays into E-Bikes with an electric assist there are additional costs. Contact us for details.